Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Defining Your "Look" - The Upgrade Continues

Let's talk makeup...
One essential part of upgrading your look for women includes makeup.  I dare say having a defined "look" is critical.  It can make the difference between getting a job or getting that second date.  I managed to inadvertently lose my look.

I moved and somehow managed to forget my makeup bag.  I'm kicking my own butt on this one.  So I had to figure out what I was missing and then go about seeking it out.

Top Priority: Sweet Temptations lip gloss collection by LORAC
This is a set of not 1, not 2, not 3, but SIX tubes of lip gloss.  Why would anyone need six tubes of lip gloss?  Because LORAC is the bomb!  Plus, this collection was only available during Christmas and sold out faster than the speed of light...why...because one tube of LORAC Multiplex lip gloss retails for about $22...so to get SIX for $25 is a must buy!!  Thank God for Amazon.



When I originally bought the collection, I divided it amongst my mom, sister and myself.  So now I have a complete set all to myself...unless I feel like sharing again.  ;-)

Next on the list is a good foundation.  One that lasts long (long-wearing) and doesn't rub off easily.  To combat the rubbing off, a good primer is key.  I have oily skin so I need something to control that oil and hold my foundation...double duty if you will.  This is why I love Iman!

When I was in Chicago, there is a Walgreen's pharmacy on Michigan avenue that has Iman products.  I was tempted to buy what I needed there, but I was also holding out hope that I had packed my makeup bag and just couldn't find it.  No luck.  Should've seized the opportunity.  Alas...
Two products you can't go wrong with:
Iman - Under Cover Agent Oil Control Primer
Iman - Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup in Earth 4




For eyes, it's all about the brows.
Two essentials for great brows (in addition to a great wax and some concealer) are:
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Espresso
Urban Decay Brow Box in Brown Sugar

 

Use the brow gel first to shape and add a hint of color, then follow up with the brow box to fill in where your brows are lacking.  It lasts all day long and your brows look perfect!

The other thing about eyes is avoiding eyeshadow creasing.  Mind you there are lots of products on the market that have built in primers, but I loves me some Urban Decay eyeshadow primer potion.


This is the magic genie in a bottle.  Seriously!  Get it in original or Sin to add a little sparkle.  Using it will change your life.

Finally, give yourself a little color.  NARS blush in Taos is my absolute go-to blush.  This compliments my dark skin tone, and even doubles as eyeshadow.  The best ever!



Rounding out my new makeup bag are some other things I happened to be interested in trying (denoted by a *).  Why not, right?  Since I have to rebuild my collection from nearly scratch.  Here's the list in full with what I've outlined above and what I'm going to try out.  The goal is sophistication, allure, charm, and a hint of glamour.
 
Sephora
Dior - Vernis Sienna 428 (*)
Nails Inc - Holland Park Avenue (*)
NARS - Illuminator (orgasm collection) in Laguna (*)
NARS - Blush in Laguna (*)
NARS - Blush in Taos
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Espresso
benefit - They're Real! Mascara in Black (*)
Urban Decay - 24/7 Glide-on Lip Pencil in Midnight Cowboy and Gash (*)

Ulta
Iman - Under Cover Agent Oil Control Primer
Iman - Sheer Finish Bronzing Powder in Afterglow (*)
Iman - Luxury Radiance Liquid Makeup in Earth 4
Iman - Time Control Skin Tone Evener (*)
Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin
Urban Decay - Eyelash Primer Potion (*)
Urban Decay - Lip Envy in Greedy (*)
Urban Decay - Brow Box in Brown Sugar

Don't forget, an artist is nothing without tools.  Target is a great resource for ELF brushes (under $5 each) or you could go SK with it (Sonia Kashuk).  Here are two great SK options that will last a lifetime!

Sonia Kashuk 7 Piece Brush Kit
Sonia Kashuk 10 Piece Haute Couture Brush Roll





So that's the post for today.  It will take some time to replace all that has been lost for me...but that's the beauty of new journeys.
TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment